Overview of Butterfly Data Protection
Butterfly School Swimming is a software service provided by Earwig Academic Ltd. who have been supplying secure software systems to schools since 2013.
In total, Earwig (www.EarwigAcademic.com) has over 69,000 active users on their school evidence and assessment platform which includes teachers, pupils and parents.
There are almost 2 million pieces of photographic and video evidence securely uploaded, tagged and stored within the Earwig system.
The Butterfly School Swimming package only requires very basic pupil information to allow your swimming lesson provider to accurately record pupil attendance and assessment and then create reports against the Key Stage 2 swimming requirements. They need:
- Pupil first and last name
- Assigned class/year group/cohort
- Gender (optional)
- Pupil Premium (optional)
- EAL (optional)
- SEN (optional)
- Looked After (optional)
- Relevant medical information (optional)
As schools already provide this information, either as a spreadsheet or on paper, your swimming provider is simply requesting to digitise this within the Butterfly system. Once they have the pupil data, the swim teachers, usually on a tablet at poolside, will make pupil attendance and assessments as normal during the sessions. This is a far quicker and more accurate method than the traditional paper-and-pen tick sheet.
Upon completion of each swim course, detailed reports are provided exclusively for your pupils. Data can be retained for as long as is needed and require in the future, if pupils swim in different year groups.
Butterfly guarantees that:
- We will only use the information for the purposes we have stated.
- We will only hold on to the information as long as is necessary for these purposes.
- We will not pass on your details to other organisations without your permission, unless we are legally obliged to do so.
- You have the right to see what personal details we hold about you.
More information can be found at: